Claire Pillsbury: Four signs of a wicked problem
#1 There is no consensus on what the problem is. Different stakeholders have different descriptions of the problem.
#2 There is no agreement on the solution.
#3 Constraints are constantly changing and there are many inter-dependencies.
#4 Constraints also arise from interested parties that may come and go, change their minds, mis-communicate, or change the ‘rules’ of solving the problem.
Wicked Problems, or things I wish I knew before I put my hand up to be the digital go-to person
- Digital is not going away anytime soon #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Any digital project is, by nature, an organisational change project. #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Must take people with you, even if it’s kicking and screaming! #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Everyone thinks they’re an expert in how to do digital. #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- “I can build a website, run a Facebook group, make a movie in a week. Why can’t you?” #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- The Director usually has no clue, gets seduced by the new and shiny (“Director specials”), and needs to be dealt with diplomatically… #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Only the few still really ‘get’ social media, not the many. #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Why does digital and marketing still remain at loggerheads and why is marketing and digital marketing / social media often still separate? #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Design thinking and agile ways of working don’t necessarily fit in organisations, many of which, were essentially established on 19th century ways of working. #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Dilemma! Do audiences want digital as part of their physical visit?? More here: (post)digital visitors, and I’m still hearing the same. #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- Framing the issues as “wicked problems” seems a good way forward for digital projects – gives everyone permission to stuff up and embrace complexity #wickedproblems #MCN2019
- My personal philosophy – just do it, apologise later, learn from mistakes, share and celebrate failures! An example in this post: #beaconfail #wickedproblems #MCN2019
More about our session here.
- Ileana Maris-de Bresser: Wicked problems cannot be solved. They can only be advanced
- Interaction Design Foundation: Wicked Problems: 5 Steps to Help You Tackle Wicked Problems by Combining Systems Thinking with Agile Methodology
- The Conversation: Wicked problems and how to solve them
- Wicked Problems website
- Wikipedia: Wicked Problem