Next week I’ll be running a strategic planning workshop for a small, totally volunteer-run museum in the Lake Macquarie region of NSW.
An exciting time for this organisation as we plan for the collection move to a new facility, with associated spaces for exhibitions, programs, interpretation and (potentially) an open storage area.
In preparation I have gathered a range of resources I’ve found useful in planning this project (detailed in the Readings list below).
In addition to the ‘usual’ planning processes, two areas I’m thinking of introducing are:
Self-care – this idea has been gaining lots of coverage lately, and, in my opinion, is particularly relevant for a volunteer-run museum to maintain motivation, avoid burn-out and (potential) exploitation.
It will be interesting to see if we can develop a plan that is achievable, flexible, useful and incorporates some of this thinking – wish us luck!
Huge thanks to MGNSW for providing the grant for this project and to the dedicated volunteers for their time and enthusiasm.
Readings and references
Strategic Planning for small organisations
- AMaGA Victoria. Resources – Information Sheets – Forward Plan Template.
- AMaGA National. (1998). Strategic Planning Manual (formerly Museums Australia)
- MGNSW. Strategic Planning for Museums and Galleries.
Collection management / policies
- AMaGA Victoria. Resources – Information Sheets – Collections Policy Template.
- History SA. Collection Policy guidelines to writing.
- MGNSW. Collection Policies.
Volunteer Management / Issues
- MGNSW. Volunteer Succession Planning – a ‘how-to’ guide.
- Museums Association (UK). Volunteers: further resources.
- Janke, T. (2018). First Peoples: A Roadmap for Enhancing Indigenous Engagement in Museums and Galleries. Australian Museums and galleries Association.
- Lake Macquarie City Council. Statement of Commitment Policy. Council’s ‘… continuing commitment to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of Lake Macquarie City’.
- Murawski, M. (31 May, 2019). Interrupting White Dominant Culture in Museums. Art Museum Teaching blog post. Accessed 3 June.
- Steward, L. (2018). Why Self-Care is Important for Museum Educators. Blog post
- Brilliant Ideas Studio. (2018). Focusing on Self-Care is Good for Business. Blog post.