OK, it’s a late #TBT but I know it’s still Thursday somewhere… In a meeting talking about the work of museums and galleries and the impact they have on (and in) their communities, and was reminded of work that has gone before, for example:
Museums; their missions; their civic, social responsibilities; and their modes of engagement with communities are in a constant process of transformation in response to social and economic imperatives at local, national and global levels. There is a need for museums to stay relevant and be responsive to pressing social and environmental issues such as population and sustainability, social justice and Indigenous rights. Funding bodies and stakeholders now acknowledge that museums and programs need to demonstrate impact and value within their local communities in order to attract further funding and ongoing support. Several models of impact have been developed in Europe and the United States, and a number of benefits are claimed for participation in museum programs and museum visitation. (Kelly, 2006).
I’m blogging this mostly so I can keep references together and keep as I come across more. Don’t worry, all will be as clear as mud later…!
- Burton, C. and Griffin, J. (2008). More than a museum? Understanding how small museums contribute to social capital in regional communities. Asia Pacific Journal of Arts and Cultural Management, 5(1).
- Concrete Thought blog (2016). Let’s start measuring impact at art museums
- Daily News (2016). MoMA shows museums can be relevant beyond art appreciation
- Farmery, K and Tandy, V. (2010). How to demonstrate and measure the value and impact of museums and galleries
- Intentional Museum blog (2013). Explaining the Seemingly Unexplainable: Impact of Museums
- Intentional Museum blog (2013). Balancing Mission with Impact
- Kelly, L. (2006). Measuring the impact of museums on their communities: the role of the 21st century museum. Paper presented at the 2006 INTERCOM conference, Taipei
- Scott, C. (2015). http://carolscottassociates.com/museums-and-value/the-cultural-value-of-visiting-museums-and-galleries
- Scott, C. (2014). http://carolscottassociates.com/museums-and-value/getting-to-grips-with-measuring-social-impact